Following feedback from previous outbreak response the Systematic Testing and Outbreak use case is proposing the creation of central resources to be deployed to assist DPH in the initial response to outbreaks. These would form a national strategic reserve that could be drawn upon by local authorities to enable activities at the local level. This will consist of specialist expertise through ‘surge’ teams and the provision of training, guidance and workforce best practice, where necessary.
A pool of various specialists will be formed to enable rapid deployment of multi-disciplinary surge teams to prevent and respond to outbreaks in urban areas. These surge teams will be led by ‘Crisis Programme Leaders’, who will serve as conduits between the national testing programme and local areas. Surge teams will undertake discovery and reconnaissance on behalf to the programme, to assess requirements and deploy testing to areas.
The Research Epidemiologist performs forecasting of a given surge for the surge team to address.
- Creating/modelling future trends for a given outbreak based on limited criteria
- Identifying future at-risk populations
- Scenario modelling based on clinical research for surge capacity
- Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems
- Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources